In 1803 Ohio became the 17th state of these United States of America. In 1826 Crawford County, Ohio was established as one of what would become 88 counties. It was in the early days of statehood that the Harvey family pioneers came to this area. They purchased land from the Wyandot Indian tribe of the nearby Wyandot Indian Reservation. Included in the use of the land were plans to build a school for children in the area. The original school building was a log cabin and was built in 1835. It was later replaced by the red brick schoolhouse in 1876. The school was named after the family on whose land it was built, the Harveys.
This school was one of 113 “little red brick schoolhouses” that dotted the Crawford County landscape. Each school served two square miles, more or less, and the families living therein. Language played an important part in education as both German and English were taught in many of these schools in Crawford County due to the ancestry of the settlers. It was noted in one 1850 contract signed by schoolmaster Martin Stump that he would teach reading, grammar, arithmetic, geography, and orthography in both English and German.
With a growing population and with school attendance increasing, it became inevitable that consolidation of one room schools was coming. The Harvey School closed in 1918. In the nearly 100 years following closure, many of these buildings were used for granaries, sheds, township buildings, and some were remodeled into homes. Many others fell into neglect and decay, as did Harvey School.
Fast forward to 2003
In 2003 Howard and Linda Harvey (descendants of the Harvey family pioneers) donated the school and the surrounding 3 acres of land to preserve the landmark. With interest initiated by Betty Hapke, and with the help and guidance from Ridgeton Restoration, Jester, Jones & Schifer Architect Firm, and a small group of dedicated persons, the restoration of Harvey One Room began. What was an unbelievable challenge has become a remarkable reality. It has become a “living one-room school museum” and offers classroom reenactments as classes were taught in the late 1800’s. It is also an historic site for adult tours, being listed on the “National Register of Historic Places” by the U.S. Department of the Interior.
The photo below is the condition of Harvey School as it appeared in 2002.
This is the restoration of Harvey School that was completed in 2007. The school has welcomed classes and tours since that time. You can check the SCHEDULES page for available dates.